Quite a few people noticed an oddity on the Mac Studio tech specs page:
- Height: 3.7 inches (9.5 cm)
- Width: 7.7 inches (19.7 cm)
- Depth: 7.7 inches (19.7 cm)
- Weight (M1 Max): 5.9 pounds (2.7 kg)
- Weight (M1 Ultra): 7.9 pounds (3.6 kg)
Turns out, the weight difference between the two specifications of the Mac Studio comes down to cooling. In a statement to The Verge, Apple said:
They [both models] have the same 370W power supply. The additional weight is due to M1 Ultra having a larger copper thermal module, where as M1 Max has an aluminum heatsink.