Hello. My name is Stephen Hackett. I live in my hometown of Memphis, Tennessee. My wife and I have three children and a dog named Eva Corndog.
I write and make podcasts for a living. I’m the co-founder of the Relay FM podcast network, where I host several shows. You can learn about these projects and more below.
I’m a collector of all things Apple. As such, old computers outnumber people in our house, and I have a dogcow tattoo on my ankle.
You can contact me here or follow me on Mastodon.
How to Support 512 Pixels
Here’s how you can follow along and help keep the lights on here:
- Subscribe via RSS.
- Follow the blog and me on Mastodon.
- Become a member.
- Sponsor the blog for a week.
What Does “512 Pixels” Mean?
The original Macintosh’s screen was 512 pixels across, making the screen resolution 72 DPI. The Mac’s GUI paved the way for computers and design as we know them today. I think that’s pretty cool.
Relay FM & Podcasts
We have shows with topics ranging from Apple and Google to pens and feelings and get to work with some of the best people in the business.
I co-host a handful of podcasts on Relay FM:
- Mac Power Users has been around since 2009. In 2019, I joined David Sparks as his new co-host. On MPU, we interview interesting guests, dive deep into nerdy topics and more.
- Connected is a weekly panel discussion on Apple and the impact of technology on our lives. I co-host it with Myke Hurley and Federico Viticci of MacStories. We each have a unique accent and perspective, making Connected special. And weird.
- Ungeniused is a show dedicated to covering the weirdest articles found on Wikipedia. Myke and I dive into the strange corners of the world’s most amazing website, so you don’t have to.
I host Apple history videos and other nerdy content on the 512 Pixels YouTube channel. Go subscribe!
You can see a list of gear I use here.
Book: ‘Aqua and Bondi’
Aqua and Bondi is a book I wrote looking at 90s Apple, the iMac and what it took to build Mac OS X. It is available in Apple’s Books Store.
macOS Wallpapers in
Every default macOS wallpaper, with the old ones remastered for our modern Retina age.
The macOS Screenshot Library
I have assembled a detailed screenshot collection of every major version of macOS.
Become a member of 512 Pixels. Support projects like these, receive exclusive content in the monthly newsletter and enjoy advanced screenings of my YouTube videos.